Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Autopsy

We met today with Lincoln's liver doctor to discuss the autopsy results. He told us...not much we didn't know. Everything they thought before was true. Lincoln did not have biliary atresia, the ducts outside of his liver were in place. He had a shortage of bile ducts inside his liver, just like his biopsy he had when he was just a few weeks old showed. His liver was scarred, as the doctor expected. The only unexpected thing about Lincoln's liver was the fibrosis in his liver wasn't what they normally see. I'll try to explain this without butchering the medical profession...Instead of the fibrosis (fibers that form when the liver is scarred) being kind of uniformly going from one particular spot in the liver to another and leaving empty space in the middle, Lincoln's fibrosis was more scattered across that empty space. The doctor said he's seen this before but it's not what they typically see. He has no idea what it means, if anything, other than Lincoln's liver didn't act like anyone expected. But we already knew that.

Lincoln's heart had regrown tissue below his aortic valve and his aortic valve was smaller than it should have been. His left kidney was smaller than it should have been and his right had grown larger to compensate. His lungs showed signs of previous trauma, likely from his fluid retention and difficulty breathing leading to previous trips to the PICU. But the main takeaway was that there wasn't anything they missed while he was still alive. And nothing to provide a diagnosis, other than to verify the "Alagille Syndrome like" symptoms.

The next step is to do genetic mapping. This will involve comparing Lincoln's DNA to mine and John's to see if there are any abnormalities in us or if Lincoln has anything genetic he couldn't have gotten from us. A big question we have is why this happened and whether it would happen again if we have more kids. But unless they find a genetic "smoking gun" they can't answer that question. The doctor said when multiple organs are involved it's almost always "syndromic", or part of an underlying syndrome, which is almost always genetic in some way. That doesn't necessarily mean it's something inherited. Lincoln could have had a random genetic mutation he didn't get from me or John. But it means it was likey in his genes one way or the other. The gene mapping provides a definitive answer 30% of the time and a tentative answer 20% of the time. It takes about 6 months.

My worry of course is that it wasn't something genetic and it's something I did, a random infection maybe. If that is the case we'll never know. I know I shouldn't blame myself, and the doctor and John tell me it's ridiculous to think that. But I think moms are prone to worrying it's their fault. I mean, I grew him, I was supposed to keep him safe. The doctor told me again today it is hugely unlikely it's something I did, but I think unless they find something genetic I'll always wonder. Having something genetic to blame wouldn't necessarily make me feel better, because at the end of the day Lincoln is still gone. But at least I could stop second guessing myself.

2 comments:

  1. (((((Hug))))) no matter what the reasons... nothing can take away that you are one of the most loving, strongest and selfless mothers ever made. My thoughts and prayers have been with you since ive started reading this blog and all you have gone through and will continue to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone down that road of "what if I had done something different" more times than I can count. What happened to your little boy is not your fault. I know sometimes it is hard not to feel guilty, but that is a dangerous road to go down. I pray that you get good results with your genetic mapping.

    ReplyDelete